Requests For Features
ajebay at errichel.co.uk
Sat Jul 25 10:15:57 PDT 2015
On 25/07/15 17:46, Chris Davies wrote:
> On 21/07/2015 18:47, Budgie wrote:
>> The business about the time stamp reference is because I have a number
>> of radio gip downloads that were messed up due to an error with my set
>> up a couple of years back. As a result these play from start to
>> finish but I cannot fast forward to any point mid programme. Since
>> they are 2 hours long this makes life difficult as I seldom have an
>> uninterrupted 2 hours! My understanding is that time markers are
>> missing but have no idea if this is correct analysis or if it can be
>> rectified. If you have any suggestions they would be appreciated.
> I'm pretty sure that "mplayer -idx" will sort this for you. Or "mplayer
> -forceidx" if it still won't play.
I gave up on this subject due to pressure of work back at the end of
2013 and had forgotten how far I had reached. It appears that for the
GiP Radio 3 downloads I messed up there are no time markers and it is
the Linn Player which needs them. Linn advised me as follows:-
AAC files store data about the media stream they contain within their
outer MPEG4 container. Seekable AAC files will also provide a collection
of offsets allowing an AAC decoder to jump to a variety of points in the
media stream, enabling seeking.
The file you provided us with appears to contain only 1 offset: the
offset of the start of the audio track within the file (after all the
metadata). Therefore, there are no further offsets that can allow our
AAC decoder to safely move to another point within the stream.
As a solution to this, we would recommend using a ripper (e.g.
dbpoweramp) to transcode the track to another format for use with the DS.
I concluded and hoped from this there was no need to transcode to
another format if I can just "transcode" to the same format. I just
need to get the ffmpeg command correct.
Will keep trying. I am not sure if the -idx options in mplayer will do
the job but can give it a try.
More information about the get_iplayer