Requests For Features

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Tue Jul 21 09:49:27 PDT 2015

On Tue Jul 21 16:28:36 BST 2015, Budgie wrote:

> the end product is .flv

Hello Alastair :-)

By default, anything downloaded by rtmpdump
ends up inside the Adobe FLV container,
with ".flv" as file extension!

> gfv reports sampletype mp4a

Again, this is reported by rtmpdump
("INFO: sampletype mp4a", you should also see:
"INFO: audiocodecid mp4a") and this info
refers to the elementary audio stream inside
the FLV container.

> How do/can I  I run it through ffmpeg to get .m4a files?

".m4a" is the file extension of MP4 files
containing only an audio stream inside the
MP4 container; is that what you really
want to do (i.e. extract only the audio from
the FLV file and put in within the MP4 container)?
My guess is that you'd rather
LOSSLESSLY REMUX the FLV file to
an MP4 file, keeping both video+audio streams...

Use ffmpeg to perform the remux:

ffmpeg -i foo.flv -c copy -bsf:a aac_adtstoasc foo.mp4

> On the subject of ffmpeg,
> will this insert time stamps when transcoding
> and how does one set the interval?

Pardon me, but I do not quite understand
what you're saying here - my command
above does a lossless remux without transcoding -
TRANSCODING is not what you'd want
because it is a source (and time) demanding
procedure - resort to transcoding in the event
your hardware media player does not support
the H.264 AVC video codec (very unlikely...)

Regards from boiling hot Greece (30C inside,
38C outside...)
Vangelis.