Paywall for iPlayer?

Owen Smith owen.smith at cantab.net
Mon Jul 6 12:42:24 PDT 2015

You think the BBC is left wing. I happen to think they have a right wing bias. That's the problem for a broadcaster trying to do real news, whichever government is in power will hate the BBC for pointing out various things the government does wrong. So the BBC will die by a thousand cuts over the next 30 years, as the pressure from Murdoch funded (legally) MPs means something is taken from the BBC at every General Election.

Personally I believe the BBC's funding levels should be restored to what they were 10 years ago in real terms, including having the S4C and World Service budgets put back. This would be a significant rise in the licence fee and I would be glad to pay it.

The other problem is there are now a lot more over 75s than there used to be, and this will only increase. It should be changed to a free TV licence 10 years after you got your state pension, so it does gradually go up. But once the cost of this is transferred to the BBC it will be almost impossible to ever get the age increased. What happens when a quarter of the population is over 75?

--
Owen Smith <owen.smith at cantab.net>
Cambridge, UK