Paywall for iPlayer?

Jim web web at audiomisc.co.uk
Mon Jul 6 04:08:33 PDT 2015

In article
<CANGN4UPV=DTYdAwn=_cRsNpAKuqF+Z6Lfb87YjK69qYWBy-kAw at mail.gmail.com>,
   Shevek <shevek at shevek.co.uk> wrote:
> Some more analysis:

> http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7034-will-budget-result-in-having-to-pay-for-bbc-iplayer.html

Personally, I'm happy to pay for iplayer access. Although I'd *prefer* that
to be done via an extension (in legal terms) to requiring you buy a 'TV
license'. So either covered by the UK license, and/or offerring a 'BBC
iplayer license' for those outside the UK. The BBC needs to be funded to
make the programmes, etc.

The worry is if any system is limited in a way I'd find unreasonable. e.g.
Only providing access by using a method that *only* works for a limited set
of OSs like Windows/Mac. i.e. excluding the choice of Linux or other
'minority' preferences. Similar for anything that limits choice of software
to some 'approved' closed source items on a magic list.

And of course, radio doesn't require a license as things stand, even in the
UK.

Jim