Embedded not downloading

Peter S Kirk peter.kirk at isauk.biz
Sun Jul 5 17:26:04 PDT 2015

On 5 Jul 2015 at 4:23, Vangelis forthnet Vangelis forthnet
<northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr> wrote:

> On Sat Jul 4 22:32:39 BST 2015, Peter S Kirk wrote:
>
> > INFO: Trying pid: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/33334463
> > (snip)
> > ERROR: rtmp server sent error
> > ERROR: rtmp server requested close
> > INFO: Command exit code 1 (raw code = 256)
> > (snip)
> > INFO: skipping flashnormal1 mode
> > ERROR: Failed to record
> > (snip)
> > Any suggestions to make download work?
>
> Hello Peter :-)
>
>  Your log shows that the rtmpdump connection
> is rejected by the CDN's Flash Media Server
> and is typical of a message issued to someone
> trying to access a UK-only CDN server...
>  However, this is naturally not the case with you!
> I added --verbose to the GiP command:
>
> perl
> get_iplayer-294.pl --url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/33334463" --modes=best
>  --force --raw -v
>
> and from the verbose log I concluded that the connection
> is rejected by the server (cp45415.edgefcs.net) because
> GiP did not compose the correct rtmpdump command
> (for those in the know, the auth_token string
> was missing...).
>
> The solution to your predicament is fairly simple:
> just add "--mediaselector=4" to your GiP command;
> GiP then uses another "formula" and this time
> issues the right rtmpdump command:
>
> perl
> get_iplayer-294.pl --url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/33334463" --modes=best
>  --force --raw --mediaselector=4
>
> (snip)
> INFO: Trying pid: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/33334463 using type:
> tv
> INFO: Trying to stream pid using type tv
> INFO: pid not found in tv cache
> Matches:
>
> INFO: 1 Matching Programmes
> INFO: Checking existence of default version
> INFO: flashnormal1 modes will be tried for version default
> INFO: Trying flashnormal1 mode to record tv: Classic F1 - British Grand Prix
> 198
> 1 - -
> INFO: File name prefix =
> Classic_F1_-_British_Grand_Prix_1981_-__http_www.bbc.co
> .uk_sport_0_formula1_33334463_default
> RTMPDump v2.4 GIT-2015-01-15 (Compiled by KSV)
> (c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license: GPL
> Connecting ...
> INFO: Connected...
> Starting download at: 0.000 kB
> INFO: Metadata:
> INFO:   creationdate            Mon Jun 15 20:12:12 2009
> INFO:   duration                403.30
> INFO:   framerate               25.00
> INFO:   height                  288.00
> INFO:   lastkeyframetimestamp   402560.00
> INFO:   lasttimestamp           403303.00
> INFO:   On2                     Technologies
> INFO:   width                   512.00
> 18152.568 kB / 403.30 sec (99.9%)
> Download complete
>
> "flashnormal" means this is a clip in the FLV container,
> [...]

Vangelis,

Thanks you. Your analysis and CLI suggestion worked. Used:
get_iplayer --url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/33334463" --
modes=best  --force --raw --mediaselector=4

Hardware support for .flv VP6 playback is not a problem, it will be viewed
on PC using VLC and also run through ffmpeg cli and mkvtoolnix for
archiving and sharing with older UK resident family who are IT iliterate
and have too slow connection to use iPlayer.

As others have said, thank you for your knowledgeable, detailed and
informative answers to so many questions. It is very much appreciated by
me.

Showing my age: If anyone has Cobol questions, PM me ;-)

God bless,

Peter (MBA, BSc, DipM)

-----

Web Hosting and VPS provided by HostSlim
https://clients.hostslim.eu/aff.php?aff=079