Embedded not downloading

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Sat Jul 4 18:23:14 PDT 2015

On Sat Jul 4 22:32:39 BST 2015, Peter S Kirk wrote:

> INFO: Trying pid: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/33334463
> (snip)
> ERROR: rtmp server sent error
> ERROR: rtmp server requested close
> INFO: Command exit code 1 (raw code = 256)
> (snip)
> INFO: skipping flashnormal1 mode
> ERROR: Failed to record
> (snip)
> Any suggestions to make download work?

Hello Peter :-)

 Your log shows that the rtmpdump connection
is rejected by the CDN's Flash Media Server
and is typical of a message issued to someone
trying to access a UK-only CDN server...
 However, this is naturally not the case with you!
I added --verbose to the GiP command:

perl
get_iplayer-294.pl --url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/33334463" --modes=best
 --force --raw -v

and from the verbose log I concluded that the connection
is rejected by the server (cp45415.edgefcs.net) because
GiP did not compose the correct rtmpdump command
(for those in the know, the auth_token string
was missing...).

The solution to your predicament is fairly simple:
just add "--mediaselector=4" to your GiP command;
GiP then uses another "formula" and this time
issues the right rtmpdump command:

perl
get_iplayer-294.pl --url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/33334463" --modes=best
 --force --raw --mediaselector=4

(snip)
INFO: Trying pid: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/33334463 using type:
tv
INFO: Trying to stream pid using type tv
INFO: pid not found in tv cache
Matches:

INFO: 1 Matching Programmes
INFO: Checking existence of default version
INFO: flashnormal1 modes will be tried for version default
INFO: Trying flashnormal1 mode to record tv: Classic F1 - British Grand Prix
198
1 - -
INFO: File name prefix =
Classic_F1_-_British_Grand_Prix_1981_-__http_www.bbc.co
.uk_sport_0_formula1_33334463_default
RTMPDump v2.4 GIT-2015-01-15 (Compiled by KSV)
(c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license: GPL
Connecting ...
INFO: Connected...
Starting download at: 0.000 kB
INFO: Metadata:
INFO:   creationdate            Mon Jun 15 20:12:12 2009
INFO:   duration                403.30
INFO:   framerate               25.00
INFO:   height                  288.00
INFO:   lastkeyframetimestamp   402560.00
INFO:   lasttimestamp           403303.00
INFO:   On2                     Technologies
INFO:   width                   512.00
18152.568 kB / 403.30 sec (99.9%)
Download complete

"flashnormal" means this is a clip in the FLV container,
where the elementary video stream is encoded with the
On2 Technologies VP6 video codec & the elementary
audio stream is encoded as MP3; your hardware media
player may or may not be compatible with VP6...

Cheers,
Vangelis.