Post-processing

Chris Davies chris at roaima.co.uk
Fri Jan 9 03:24:58 PST 2015

On 08/01/2015 01:35, Dave Liquorice wrote:
> [...] My NAS plays up at times, requires a reboot to get it working
> again. The mount on the Pi fails [...]

The mount fails because the NAS died? Try using the automounter instead
of a fixed entry in /etc/fstab. It doesn't work for every situation but
it's far more reliable here. (What does it do? It mounts the NFS
filesystem on demand - and unmounts it again after a period of
inactivity. This means you should be less likely to get stale mounts in
the event of a server failure.) Email me off-list if you want a hand
with the configuration files.

> When RTMP falls over it can leave the partial file behind and not be
> able to resume. I've also had Gip fall over at other stages leaving
> broken files and worse an entry in the download_history so it silently
> doesn't try again. This is why I don't run the PVR via cron...

I too found this, so I have a script that runs daily (nightly, shortly
before the pvr runs) to kill off any rtmp process that's been running
for "too long". (Pragmatically I define "too long" as being > 24 hours,
since the process output format from "ps -ef" changes for such
processes, so it's easy to pick up.) The script them goes and deletes
the partially downloaded files and removes any corresponding entry from
the download_history file. The downside is that it may take an
additional two days before the affected programmes are downloaded, but
since the pvr runs daily (nightly) I don't see a problem with this.
Script available on request.

Chris

chris at roaima.co.uk