Anger over BBC radio streaming changes

Christopher Woods christopher at custommade.org.uk
Wed Feb 25 10:23:22 PST 2015

On 2015-02-23 13:45, C E Macfarlane wrote:
>>     > The BBC should never have adopted any proprietary format in
>>     the first place.
>>
>>     Back when they first started streaming stuff online, the only
>>     available
>>     products were proprietary. [snip]
>
> When you're in the position of a major official government
> organisation as
> well as a public corporation set up by Royal Charter, such as is the
> BBC, if
> you can't do something properly with the tools around at the time,
> you don't
> do it at all.  You don't waste millions or billions of public money
> which
> pays for your very existence on something you can't support
> indefinitely
> into the future.  You don't encourage manufacturers to make, and the
> public,
> whose 'taxes' are paying your wages, to buy, kit in the belief that,
> if it's
> supported by the BBC, it must be safe to spend money on it, and then
> pull
> the plug on that kit not long after.

This train of thought doesn't address a key issue: the BBC had full
control over development of the PAL broadcast standard, and was able to
develop and refine it prior to using it commercially. New Media (i.e.,
internetty stuff) is the Wild West again, whoever has the most market
inertia becomes the de facto leader and you have multiple concurrent
'standards' all of which can be superceded or made obsolete by the Next
Big Thing.

The Beeb works hard to keep stuff supported - I agree the public
announcements, and discussions with developers, probably could have been
coordinated better, but all these Internet radios which no longer work
are not due to the BBC not coding firmware updates for them, that
responsibility falls to that of the manufacturer to provide
functionality according to the agreed specification for the format. If
they built their equipment to a price point or functional level which
didn't accommodate for Unknown Future Developments, that's their fault.

I can almost hear all the people who bought first generation black &
white TV sets complaining that the BBC made their unit obsolete by
beginning to broadcast in colour (but again, because the BBC essentially
had complete control over the standard and the entire broadcast chain,
they were able to guarantee a level of backwards compatibility so they
wouldn't alienate early adopters).

They're still trying to avoid alienating early adopters, but we all
have to accept that sadly in this day and age we're ALL early adopters.
If you plotted pace of technical innovation in fields of digital codecs,
streaming technology, high speed bandwidth, processing power, the
capabilities of integrated devices like Smart TVs, you would see a curve
which is rising almost exponentially.

Contrast that with the heady days of PAL 625 line, where it was
basically a plateau for fifty years (save for some very clever
innovation that built on the standard in terms of NICAM audio, stereo
sound, use of blanking fields for subtitles etc).

Smart phones and tablets are driving take-up in newer formats and they
are just so much more capable of handling and working with more
computationally complex (and efficient) codecs delivered over more
cost-effective networks.

And to clarify: the BBC provides a facility to access its systems to
*third party developers*, who then code their apps. Whilst there's
significant development expertise internally at the BBC, it doesn't
(couldn't! wouldn't want to!) code every single Internet Radio or Smart
TV widget. If these third party devs are lazy (or the companies like
Samsung, LG etc. don't wish to continue paying for development as
technology changes) those apps rot until they don't work any more.

Manufacturers also spec devices with underpowered chips - my mum's
Samsung "Smart TV" is testament to this, only the iPlayer app plays
smoothly, the itv Player drops frames and skips like there's no
tomorrow. If these ARM processors can only barely provide the
interactive experience needed for the interface and basic H.264 / MPEG
hardware video decoding on a bare-bones Linux (or VxWorks!) environment,
there's never going to be enough spare processing power to permit for
new developments like HLS, HDS or DASH (which WILL be adopted by every
broadcaster in due course, almost undoubtedly).

Seems appropriate at this point to hark back to the DVB-T spec, the
development of which the BBC also has a big hand in, and remains rock
solid and stable. DVB-T2 was initially developed by BBC R&D and now sees
widescale, painfree adoption by industry.

The BBC works immensely hard to maintain support for the widest range
of devices as is feasible - they only just stopped support for the Wii
player two weeks ago! They were already supporting 650 devices in 2012,
that's undoubtedly increased a huge amount since.

There's a list of BBC iPlayer Certified devices on the iPlayer site:
http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/information/

Some manufacturers seemingly do a single version of the 'iPlayer app'
for a particular model of TV then never update it even when updates are
required.

> No, they're complaining at the almost incessant changes in these
> services
> that render kit obsolete before it has reached its natural
> end-of-life.

Whilst I am against it, it's undeniable that electronics companies have
pushed for shorter lifespans. My colleague has just this minute told me
a story about how his Freeview set top box (with iPlayer!) displayed a
message recently warning him that functionality would stop. Lo and
behold, it did, on the day it said - because of the move to HLS delivery
for iPlayer TV.

It's economics - companies have realised can't afford to support every
single device they've ever made, particularly with the market
contraction unless they're as big as Apple (...and even they don't!).
Companies should really manufacture fewer devices with more capabilities
and processing power, then sell and support them for longer. It won't
happen though, these days kit only seems to have an expected lifetime of
several years.

Your other points - age of device, speed of access using the 'Smart'
interface, etc - reinforce my points. I'm not happy about it, but it's
how it is. I pay a monthly Murdoch tax for Sky TV and I can't even watch
ANY of that because my device is rooted (and they have decided that
apparently that makes me A. Criminal and so deny me access on my
expensive flagship smartphone). If you read the Sky Customer Forums,
they drop support for older devices (and in some cases, their OWN SET
TOP BOXES!) as soon as it becomes financially unattractive.

> This year's track record alone is sufficient demonstration that, ever
> since
> the inception of iPlayer, the BBC have broken their customer's
> equipment
> time and time again by changing the way iPlayer works, often, as at
> the end
> of October, in an arbitrary fashion with little or no advance warning
> and
> little or no overlap of functionality to allow people time to obtain
> firmware updates for their equipment, which latter supposes that
> manufacturers in the limited UK market might even feel obliged to try
> support the endlessly moving iPlayer goalposts by providing such
> updates,
> whereas, understandably enough, they might not.

The BBC has not broken anything. They *have* changed the way they
provide access to their content, moving to a much more efficient and
technologically current method of data delivery. They've had to move
with the times, even whilst bending over backwards to try and satisfy
that 0.5% of people who use a BizarroBox v1.0 from 2010 which the
manufacturer abandoned shortly after shipping the last consignment to
their retail distributor.

It's never denied access to those who wish to watch or 'broken' their
devices, they can always watch using a computer, smartphone or tablet -
the areas by market share which have the highest adoption rates. If
people are looking for someone to blame, they should harass their
product's manufacturer for their negligence and poor after-sales
support.

The fact is, manufacturers have all sold us lemons by advertising these
whizz-bang devices which actually are crippled out the box with no real
prospect of ever being able to update the software yourself due to their
locked down, proprietary OSes and platforms. And they'll do it again and
again with this year's latest product -- it's classic capitalism!

tl;dr: stop complaining. Nobody is owed anything. Your Smart TV or
internet radio may not be working properly any more, but in reality
you're already in a very, very small minority. Go complain to the
manufacturer, it's their fault they didn't design their product well
enough to survive one revolution of a technology lifecycle.

Nobody is entitled to the iPlayer's content, it's not funded
(currently...!) by the TV License, it's an amazing value-added extra the
BBC is having to fund whilst the TV licence has remained frozen since
the last Charter Renewal (in real terms, a significant reduction, even
before the top slicing for Local TV funding, having to now fund the
World Service and loads of other big projects).

If you really want to listen to the streams on a radio in your living
room, buy a Pi+, install Kodi (if you're feeling lazy) or just run it
through a web interface - bingo! A software upgradeable, incredibly
powerful, eminently affordable, future-proofed, get_iplayer capable and
100% self-supported with a great user community. You'll save a chunk of
cash over buying a block of plastic with a speaker in it, too.

I'm far more concerned about the minority of the minority who relied
upon these now-defunct modes of access due to special access
requirements (blind/partially sighted being a big one). The iPlayer web
site I think needs some improvement in that area, and I'm not sure about
the accessibility of the various smartphone/tablet Radio apps. However
the BBC inevitably has blind members of staff who I am sure will have
been VERY vocal about problems.

Chris