Query re BBC On Demand Radio

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Tue Feb 17 23:17:48 PST 2015

On Tue Feb 17 19:06:22 GMT 2015, Prisca wrote:

> My query really related to how/where get_iplayer obtained
> the radio links and whether it would still be able
> to download radio programs after the switch off.

Hi Prisca :-)

The wma streams are being phased out as we speak;
I can't find wma-OD streams for newly broadcast content
on Radios 1 & 2 (e.g. pid=b0528kgc) - Radio 3 programmes
continue to have a WMA-OD version (e.g. pid=b052gzr7)
at the time of writing.
 GiP 2.91 doesn't search for WMA streams (by default)
in any case; use the --mediaselector=4 switch to try and
grab any remaining available wma-radiomodes, but the app
that is used (MPlayer) for dumping isn't reliable...
 It isn't true they are axing the AAC AOD streams; one mode
of delivery (via the RTMP protocol) will be discontinued
sometime during this current year 2015 - they (the Beeb)
have been very vague in their statements... This mode is
what in GiP terms is referred to as "flashaac" radiomode.
 The RTMP protocol delivery will be phased out in favour
of a HTTP protocol delivery - this is suported currently by
two technologies:
1. AdobeHDS (targeting desktops/laptops) &
2. AppleHLS (targeting mobile devices).
A third one (MPEG-DASH) is currently experimental
and under development, but they seem to like it a lot...
 When the RTMP AOD streams die, it's hard to tell what'll
happen. GiP already has support for the AppleHLS
streams (main method for accessing Live TV); try them by
using --modes=hlsaac with your radio fetches;
sadly, it takes a lot longer to download compared to the
flashaac ones...
 GiP lacks support currently for AdobeHDS streams;
there are solutions available for the more savvy - eventually
FFmpeg (a helper app used by GiP) will incorporate
support for such streams...
 Be sure that the dev of GiP keeps an eye on the changes
the BBC implements and tries his absolute best to come up
with solutions - have faith!
(What is ominous with these new methods is that they
leave room for DRM encryption - if to be implemented, I
fear this would be the definite end of GiP ... :-(  ).
 As to "where the streams are coming from", I'm afraid
I'd bore you with a lot of "techie" talk - In a nutshell,
the files are uploaded by the Beeb on networks of
storage servers, called CDNs - then they are streamed to
the clients devices (e.g. your PC browser or your iPad) via different
streaming techniques.
When you tell GiP to fetch a radio programme
(by providing a pid string), GiP queries various BBC servers to
acquire needed metadata that will grant it access to the CDNs
where the files are stored - then, depending on the streaming
method, will invoke the suitable helper app (rtmpdump, ffmpeg,
mplayer) to start saving the stream onto your disk - further apps
are then used so that in the end you get a playable and tagged
file for your listening pleasure!

Cheers,
Vangelis.