Radio categories

M Clark mclark at gmx.co.uk
Sat Feb 14 21:29:21 PST 2015

> Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2015 at 1:28 AM
> From: "Vangelis forthnet" <northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr>
> To: get_iplayer at lists.infradead.org
> Subject: Re: Radio categories
>
> On Sat Feb 14 02:06:51 GMT 2015, Steve (aka YellowYeti) wrote:
>
> > missed that bit of collateral damage
> > when the November bomb hit.
>
> Hi, Steve!
> This info is included in the 2.91 Release Notes:
>
> https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/release291#category-information-for-radio-programmes
>
> (See also this Dec 2014 thread:
> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/get_iplayer/2014-December/007015.html
> It is generally a good idea to search first the list archives...)
>
> > suggestions on alternative ways to get
> > the pvr to do what I want?
>
> The first link I referenced suggests a change to
> the ION radio feeds could result in a partial
> restoration of the radio category info.
> Use the CLI to refresh the radio cache from the
> ION feeds - then the GUI should pick up
> the radio category entries - haven't tried this
> myself so can't really say if it provides a remedy
> for your issue :-)
>
> Kind regards,
> Vangelis.

I am (easily) confused.

I have read the link at https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/release291#category-information-for-radio-programmes
but have no idea what ION radio feeds are.

But I am confused as there is category information in both the .rdf and .xml urls (.json for that matter but they may just be a reformatted .xml file for all I know) for radio programmes and I thought it was from these, certainly .rdf, that metadata was obtained.  Is this not the case?  Television programmes seem to be populated from one of these.

Example, pid b0523mr0 - 6 Music Live Hour.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0523mr0.rdf
<po:genre rdf:resource="/programmes/genres/music/classicpopandrock#genre"/>
<po:genre rdf:resource="/programmes/genres/music/rockandindie#genre"/>

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0523mr0.xml
<categories>
<category type="genre" id="C00068" key="classicpopandrock">
<title>Classic Pop & Rock</title>
<narrower/>
<broader>
<category type="genre" id="C00066" key="music">
<title>Music</title>
<broader/>
<has_topic_page>0</has_topic_page>
<sameAs/>
</category>
</broader><has_topic_page>0</has_topic_page>
<sameAs/>
</category>
<category type="genre" id="C00076" key="rockandindie">
<title>Rock & Indie</title>
<narrower/>
<broader>
<category type="genre" id="C00066" key="music">
<title>Music</title>
<broader/>
<has_topic_page>0</has_topic_page>
<sameAs/>