Unable to download a pid

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Sat Feb 14 18:22:23 PST 2015

On Thu Feb 12 14:56:22 GMT 2015, Budge wrote:

> On 12/02/2015 04:12 AM, Vangelis forthnet wrote:
> (snip)
>> vPID is different to its corresponding PID
>> only in the last two characters,

 Disregard this comment; I made an error :-( .
I have recently observed vPIDs having the last
3 characters different to the "calling" PID or even
being a completely new 8 character string!

> I have never bothered about versions before,
> having no special needs in that respect.

If you need to fetch a version of the programme
other than the default, you should use the
--versions option (from GiP's Help):

--versions <versions>            Version of programme to search or record.
List is processed from left to right and first version found is downloaded.
Example: '--versions signed,audiodescribed,default' will prefer signed and
audiodescribed programmes if available.  Default: 'default'

Even if only the default one exists, you
shouldn't have bothered with the vPID
value, since GiP tries its best to retrieve it.
(Some months ago when breakages occured
after BBC changes, I and a few others proposed
the implementation of a --vpid option,
where the correct value - found manually
by the user via other methods - could be manually
inserted into the GiP command; but dinkypumpkin
declined and has since done his best to amend the
code for always auto-retrieval...).

> you refer to GiP v2.92-dev....
> Should I be trying this now
> or is it still a work in progress?

By definition, the "develop" branch is a WIP:
https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/tree/develop
but you should not read anything more into that!
When dinkypumpkin feels it's time for a new
tag release (2.92?), the develop branch will be merged
with the master branch...
I can't see why you can't try it now -
but please back up your tag version 2.91 first -
in any event!
Just my 2p!

Vangelis.