BBC Ceases To Use MP3...

Christopher Woods christopher at custommade.org.uk
Mon Feb 9 14:24:53 PST 2015

This is likely because they're now on Audio Factory. As of right now, 22 of
the 40 LR stations are now on AF with the rest due to be migrated by Wednesday.

This will bring advantages in terms of a reduction in network complexity
(seriously, it's a headache-inducing patchwork of different services and
providers -- plus the audio quality of the old circuits is hugely variable
and often quite ropey), and it'll bring a cost saving.

However, this means everything is moving to HLS/HDS (eventually also DASH)
with no more WMA (or MP3). That I'm not so sad about. AAC has completely
supplanted MP3 and I can't think of many (if any) devices that don't
support it in hardware or via software update.

That said, there will remain a Shoutcast MP3 stream of Network stations for
legacy internet radio devices - which won't be around for ever. I use
(used!) the AAC Shoutcast streams and it'll be a loss to me as they're also
being canned. But it's like arguing with the wind to expect a Shoutcast CDN
to be kept running just so me and half a dozen others can listen to unicast
AAC... ;)

More info published today from the manager of Audio Factory:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/entries/977a1954-658f-4fb2-a23c-71680c49882f