Pick up from Download Completed?

Dave Liquorice allsorts at howhill.com
Fri Feb 6 11:46:32 PST 2015

On Fri, 6 Feb 2015 02:04:28 +0000, Jeremy Nicoll - ml get_iplayer wrote:

>> I run get_iplayer on a Raspberry Pi using a NAS as the download location
>> and also processing the files there via SMB.
>
> Could you download to a disk attached directly to the RPi and then move
> complete downloaded/converted files to the NAS afterwards?

That's and idea, use a USB stick, be quicker that's for sure.

<later> Well that's wasted a day...

But I know a lot more about how get_iplayer works.  B-)  Worked out how to
turn off "file exists" detection, found the turned off the call to rtmpdump,
commented that out and set the return code, avconv ran but produced garbage.
1 hour prog starting at >1GB in a few tens of MB, I think not...

NAS must have not saved that file properly, downloaded same prog to NAS
again, avconv still produce grabage, downloaded again but to USB stick
plugged into Pi, all works as normal.

Ran unmodified get_player against one of the other downloads, no "file
exists" exit, rtmpdump detects the existing file decides it's all there
quits (as I expected it to do) and avconv proceeds to process it apparently
as it should.

I've not yet tried to watch anything mind.

The NAS (Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive - Cloud Edition, now under the
Lenonov umbrella) started playing up after a firmware update. I can't find a
way to downgrade that doesn't involve completely wiping the drive. WTF can't
the makers make previous firmwares available as a download and have means of
sending that to the device. My other NAS (ZyXEL NSA310 can do that).

This Iomega is not happy, takes even longer than it used to to shutdown/boot
and has this weird occasional "no response"/"timeout" thing. It's never been
a very good NAS, this is the 2nd replacement under warranty, the first
replacement was DOA... It's days are numbered, to be replaced by a 1 or 2TB
USB drive directly on the RPi.

> Of course that does mean that in other situations an incautious script
> could generate many files rather than just one.

I'd rather not have something grabbing the same thing again and again... I'm
on a tariff capped at 100 GB/month which can be a challenge to keep under if
No.1 Daughter is home.  B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.