OT: Help with Broken Downloads Please

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Tue Dec 22 13:20:19 PST 2015

On Tue Dec 22 19:11:22 GMT 2015, Clive wrote:

> My "new" portable player will not play aac files
> (snip)
> I tried converting aac to m4a using ffmpeg
> (snip)
> just tried your command line and it works

Hi Clive :-)

 From your input it appears your new player
does not support the raw ADTS AAC file format,
but does support the Apple .m4a container,
which implies it does come with hardware support
for Advanced Audio Codec (i.e. AAC) ...

 I wish that was the case for my portable player, too...
It lacks support for AAC altogether, so neither ".aac"
nor ".m4a" audio files are supported - I have to resort
to AAC => MP3 transcoding for the files to be listened
to on that specific hardware player :-{

> All the file names are as gip/BBC delivered them

By default, GiP 2.94 (and some previous versions, too)
produces "m4a" audio files, whether you employ flash or hls
audio modes; --raw will produce .flv files for flashmodes
and .ts files for hlsmodes; and, of course, --mp3 will produce
".mp3" files.
Where you using a separate extraction step in order to
produce the ".aac" files compatible with former player?
(... and was it true that although ".aac" would play on it,
".m4a" would not? Just being curious, that's all!)

Merry Christmas to you and all others...
Vangelis.