video Quality get_player vs bbc iplayer

David WIDGERY widgery.david at orange.fr
Fri Dec 4 00:41:18 PST 2015

Hi sorry if this is a bit off topic, I have used the pc version of get_player for several years now, mainly because I have a slow internet connection and I use an old notebook running XP which has no HDMI so using iplayer was never very successful, so I download using get_iplayer copy to a key and play directly on my TV.

Anyway as XP is now defunct so my laptop has a limited life I decided to invest in a MXQ android box with HDMI the idea was to revert to using bbc iplayer, but I have noticed that the quality is not as good when using iplayer a lot more pixalation, this surprised me as I thought that get_iplayer downloaded the same video as iplayer? also the resultant file for example a 40 minute program with get_iplayer is about 600Mb yet iplayer reports a download size of 253 for the same program. in the iplayer set-up there is a "higher quality downloads" option which I do have selected but no where does it indicate what resolution it is set to.

I know this is a bit off topic, but can anyone can indicate what I might be doing wrong.

Also if anyone can suggest a more suitable discussion group for using iplayer and android media players it would be welcome. This group has always been excellent most postings are to the point with sensible replys, unlike many newsgroups where you have to wade through pages of pointless arguments to actually extract any useful information

Dave