Inconsistencies

Jim web web at audiomisc.co.uk
Sat Aug 29 04:45:17 PDT 2015

In article <55E1921C.3070308 at soulman1949.com>, Alan Milewczyk
<alan at soulman1949.com> wrote:
> On 29/08/2015 09:50, Jim Lesurf wrote:
> > I've been using gip to fetch various 'versions' of Proms and am often
> > puzzled by inconsistencies. I'm not sure if this is down to the BBC
> > system/team not working in the same way all the time or something down
> > to the way I use gip, or what!
> >
> > Two examples. The Barenboim/WEDO prom, and the Whitacre Prom.
> >
> I wonder, Jim, whether this is part of the general inconsistency we've
> commented on previously - where sometimes you download a file and it's
> not the usual 1280x720 norm, but you go back a few days later and the
> higher definition file downloads.

I've tried a few times to refetch to check that. Tried it up to 10 days
later. But for each Prom file I've tried this on I get the same results.

I've also tried experimenting with supplier exclusion without getting a
change.

In the past for non-Proms trying again did sometimes get a better result.
But it doesn't seem to help here for the Proms.

> I've found this to be the case when specifying --tvmode=best whereas
> --modes=hlsvhigh gets the 1280x720 version when it's available. Is it a
> case of server loading?

Ah! Now I've not tried hls. That's worth an experiment. Can I just
substitute  --modes=hlsvhigh for tvmode=best ?

This morning I wrote a simple drag-and-drop ROX app to let me use ffprobe
so I can tabulate the file details.[1] Aim to collate results for some
example Proms to see if I can recognise any pattern. But if someone else
finds they can get *all* the Barenboim/Whitacre files as 1280x720 it would
show immediately that I'm doing something wrong/sub-optimal.

Cheers,

Jim

[1] One sad result is to see the audio bitrates and how much lower they are
than for Radio 3 or DVB-T2 ! :-/ Oh well, at least I've been capturing
those as well for comparisons. ;->