pop art

Alan Milewczyk alan at soulman1949.com
Tue Aug 25 11:18:00 PDT 2015

Hi Jim

On 25/08/2015 18:22, Jim web wrote:
> In article <55DC5B76.90205 at soulman1949.com>, Alan Milewczyk
> <alan at soulman1949.com> wrote:
>> On 24/08/2015 09:53, Jim web wrote:
>>> Similarly I found some time ago that there are at least *two* versions
>>> of the iplayer's schedules day-page listings. One of which only goes
>>> back a week, while the other covers the full month.
>>>
>> I've not seen the "full month" version - could you post a sample URL
>> please?
> I suspect you have, but I've not explained clearly!
>
> Apologies as I had to copy across the following URL  via pen and paper, so
> may have made an error..
>
> http://bbc.co.uk/radio3/programmes/schedules/fm/yesterday
>
> gives me a page in FF with a horizontal row of clickable icons. Provided
> the browser window is wide enough "yesterday" is at the center and there
> are icons for the next and previous week and a day. i.e. at present the
> center is Monday 25th, and the left and right hand icons are last Monday
> and next Monday.

Ah thanks, I'd totally forgotten about those schedule pages as I've been
concentrating on the BBC iPlayer schedule pages, which, as you say are
are limited. There are, of course, similar pages for TV programmes,
e.g.,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcone/programmes/schedules/north_west/yyyy/mm/dd
form. Interestingly, both radio and TV are not limited to just the past
month's history, I've clicked back many months a week at a time,
although that's of no practical use for iPlayer purposes where a month's
programmes is the maximum available to us!

> If I click on the icon for last Monday the displayed page rearranges to be
> centered on last Monday, and I can then click and earlier day's icon to
> move to that. For this page the process allows me to find and access
> programmes over the last month from today.
>
> This is what I was referring to. It gives access back for a month, but the
> span shown at any time is less wide - it only covers +/- week plus a day at
> any display center.
>
> I suspect you do know the pages I was referring to but may have thought I
> meant the entire month of programming was displayed on a single page.
> However that wasn't what I had in mind, so apologies if what I wrote wasn't
> clear.

No apology needed, I assumed it was "a week to view".

> The other version I referred to had a different URL format. However I last
> tried it many month ago, and haven't yet been able to remember it! I think
> I do have it noted somewhere, but not yet found it. It became irrelevant
> once the above one was working. I can't now even recall exactly when I last
> checked the old, limited, version. Been looking today, but no success. The
> page it gave looked very much like the one delivered above, but the
> horizontal set of icons only went back a week, and clicking on the one a
> week ago didn't change the page to push back the scope.
>
> FWIW I suspect the older format was a hang-over from the days when the
> iplayer was limited to a week back. But it was left in place.

No probs.

>> ... But, having said that, www.bbc.co.uk
>> is an amazing site for the sheer diversity of content - it's been my
>> home page for ages.
> I've written my own home page. The iplayer addresses and top level BBC
> pages are some of the main links. :-)
>
> Jim

A good idea! I must "get a round tuit" myself! ;-)

Incidentally, a few months back I spent a very interesting few days
going through your web-site, a fascinating read for sure. I graduated in
Electronic Engineering in 1970 and subscribed to many electronics and
hi-fi mags particularly in the 60s and 70s! I've forgotten much of the
design theory as I've not been involved at the nuts and bolts level for
many many years, my last involvement being the Linley Hood amplifier in
the mid 70s! Although the electronics world had largely moved to
transistors by the time I was at Uni 1967-70, I always felt more at home
with valves! ;-)

Back on topic, I must admit I've felt irritated that the BBC's iPlayer
pages only let you go back a week when a month's worth of programming is
available. So, many thanks for reminding me of the ordinary schedule pages!

Regards

Alan