Sampling frequency on Radio programmes - Taking it off topic

Kevin Lynch klynchk at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 10:37:51 PDT 2015

Although this discussion is largely closed I just wanted to draw
attention to  this show on R4 that investigates the whole "art" of
remastering
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00s3h40 I have not listened to it yet
but it's in my queue

Synopsis below

Kevin

Sara Mohr-Pietsch explores digital re-mastering: is it the art of
restoring music to its original glory; or just another way of selling
us music we already own?

The whole of the Beatles back catalogue has recently been re-released
in re-mastered form; a quick search of any record store or online shop
will reveal that a large number of recordings have been re-mastered,
from very old crackly recordings to very recent releases. But what do
the words 'digitally re-mastered' on a cd actually mean?

Sara Mohr-Pietsch visits London's iconic Abbey Road Studios (recently
awarded Grade II listed status) to meet some of the engineers who
re-master recordings there. She asks them and others from the music
industry what re-mastering actually means. She learns that sometimes
re-mastering can be as much about what to leave in as what to leave
out. And is it an advantage to have the original artist involved in
the process?

Sara also considers the consumer's point of view; we've already bought
these recordings on vinyl and cd (and possibly cassette as well) so
why do we need to buy them again? Can the average listener hear any
difference between the original version of (for instance) a pop song
from the 1960s and the re-mastered version?

Sara looks at the technology that is used to clean up very old
recordings, where the music is often buried almost completely beneath
noise and the sonic distortions caused by very primitive recording
equipment.

Whatever your view is of the value of re-mastering, what is clear is
that the re-mastering engineers Sara meets treat the work they do with
great care and reverence - they are often uncovering moments in
history.