Recent spam surge...

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Tue Apr 7 15:58:20 PDT 2015

Hello all...
 I have been following this list since the start of 2011;
there has always been the odd spam post, but as one
can verify by browsing the list archives:

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/get_iplayer/

it was very infrequent - say one every 6 months?

Now it is already Apr 8th 2015 in my timezone
and there exist already 4 spam mails in the April
archive (1 from E-ZPass Support and 3 from
FedEx Ground).

As tellyaddict has said, I understand that if
a whitelisted e-mail address gets subscribed
to the list, the spammer can then forward
spam to all members (and the list archives).

It then is the responsibility of the list maintainer
to block those spamming e-mail addresses...
I do hope Mr Woodhouse does so, eventually...

I remember a previous case of spamming to
the list some months ago, but it was because
a member's account was compromised;
I don't think these recent examples fall
into that category... or could they?

Fortunately, just by reading the subject title
you can tell it's spam right away!
A decent anti-malware/anti-virus software
can protect you from any malevolent
attachments... When spam started in mid-March,
David hinted he would revise the types of
attachments permitted on this list:

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/get_iplayer/2015-March/007395.html

However, spam with possibly malicious zip files attached
still make it to the list...
Until this spam issue is dealt with, I urge you not to open
those mails at all, nor to start threads by replying to them -
just to be on the safe side...
Now comes the question why this list has become the
target of spammers? Is it perhaps a co-ordinated attempt
to discredit the list and the get_iplayer project?
(Or perhaps I have been reading too many
conspiracy theories...)

As far as the issue Jim web raised, it is indeed true
all our e-mail addresses are out there in the open to exploit
from the list archive pages...

http://www.mail-archive.com/get_iplayer@lists.infradead.org/maillist.html

is particularly guilty because at the bottom of each mail
contains a "Reply via email to (name of poster)" button,
that - when clicked - sends a private e-mail directly to
the original poster.
 I have personally received off-list mails over the course
of the last four years, however none of them was what I
would describe as spam - of course I can't offer personalised
help; I did do it in some rare instances, but the list is there
for all members to offer assistance,
if and when they can, out of their personal time...
Now that dinkypumpkin hardly ever posts, it's a question of users
aiding other users...
 So, if e-mail anonymity is a must have, one should
opt for the Support Forum:
https://squarepenguin.co.uk/all-forums/
where an e-mail is indeed needed for registration,
but this remains known only to the admin of the
forum, i.e. Square Penguin...

Best regards,
Vangelis.