Funny characters in the cache files

Jeremy Nicoll - ml get_iplayer jn.ml.gti.91 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Tue Sep 9 16:19:34 PDT 2014

There's a TV programme at the moment named: "The £100k House".  In the
tv.cache file, this programme's name is stored as: "The £100k House" - that
is there's an unexpected character - hex &c2 - before the pound sign.  It
means that a search for, say, "The £100" won't find this programme.

I'm wondering if this is fixable?

I've also seen something similar when foreign characters occur in programme
or episode names, eg:

  |6. John Craven's Fjällräven|

(episode 6 of series 4 of "fags, Mags and Bags" - see:
 http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b010y376 )

which surprises me less; I presume this occurs because double-byte
(unicode?) characters have been used in the midst of an otherwise
single-byte encoded string.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.