get_iplayer repair update #1

Jeremy Nicoll - ml get_iplayer jn.ml.gti.91 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Fri Oct 31 18:52:19 PDT 2014

dinkypumpkin <dinkypumpkin at gmail.com> wrote:

> get_iplayer has been more or less repaired, but there are still some
> wounds.  I'm going to release what I have on Sunday....

This is excellent news, and I have to say I'm impressed by the amount you've
managed to do in such a short time.

(I realise that we may have been lucky with the time of year; I should think
that it's a bad time for any sort of pumpkin to be out of the ... house?
shed?  field?  ... wherever a pumpkin normally feels at home.  I've seen
some dreadful sights in the last 12 hours - pumpkins being carried around by
witches etc...)

> c. External search  ...  I'll have my pony now, thanks.

Whoosh?  That's certainly over my head.  Unless it's an insight into a
pumpkin's dietary preferences?

Regarding cacheing from feeds vv scraping... cacheing seems to me to have
been good for capturing a snapshot of all the available programmes at a
point in time.  But for anyone who's a regular user of get_iplayer there's a
lot of overlap in the cache's contents from one version/refresh to the next.
 I'm not so sure that scraping the schedules to see what the BBC plan to
transmit in just the following day, say, would be so bad, especially if it
was limited by user selection to just the channels/stations that a user was
most interested in.  It could mean that it'd take a few days for such a user
to build up a list of programmes that should be available, but then actual
availability checks per programme could wait until someone tried to download
one.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.