Information Overload on GiP Changes

Rob Dixon rob.dixon at gmx.com
Fri Oct 31 17:10:18 PDT 2014

On 31/10/2014 23:11, Budgie wrote:

> Also I see references to JSON.  OK, JavaScript Object Notation but what
> does it mean to me and where does it fit in with GiP and BBC.  I
> thought, in my ignorance, that JavaScript was going the way of the brown
> ball.  Certainly I get grave warnings when it is used or fails to work
> on the web management interface of my L2 managed switch.

If you know enough to understand what JavaScript is, then you will know
that at present it is tied inextricably to intelligent web sites. It is
by several leagues the chosen way to write dynamic web sites (those
sites that can modify the contents of the display without reference back
to the web server.

You're right that JavaScript isn't well-liked, but at present it is the
only option. However, its data literals are quite adequate, and
something similar is used by languages like Perl and Python.

So that standard has been extracted and named JSON independently of the
language itself, and pretty much every language has a module or library
available that will read and write such data.

It is also a subset of the YAML data specification language, which has
no ties at all to any languages, much like XML, so if your program will
read or write YAML then it will also read JSON.

I hope that helps,

Rob

---