A message from Auntie

Steven Maude get_iplayer at stevenmaude.co.uk
Fri Oct 31 04:08:18 PDT 2014

On 31/10/2014 02:55, Dave Ford wrote:
> As posted on the BBC Internet blog - from Jon Billings:
>
> 'In particular, the BBC does not sanction XBMC, get_iplayer or similar
> clients, and the iPlayer RSS feeds were never designed or intended to
> support them. Nitro will almost certainly not support their ways of
> working. We realise this comes as unwelcome news to users of these clients.
> The iPlayer team continues to work hard to maximise access to iPlayer
> across a wide range of platforms and devices.'
>
> Sad news.

Yes, that reads like "we won't give out API keys for those clients" to
me. There's no technical reason why developers couldn't make their
software work with a new API.

That's a different tone from the upbeat "we do hope to be able to make
our programme information available to *any* developer via Nitro in the
next few months." (Quote from
http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/feeds, emphasis mine.)