[ANN] get_iplayer search and PVR functions no longer work - no

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Wed Oct 29 16:21:45 PDT 2014

On Wed Oct 29 19:40:54 GMT 2014, dinkypumpkin wrote:

> It has also been reported that thumbnails
> aren't downloaded for programmes less than 7
> days old when downloaded via --pid.

I think I disected this...

Take for instance pid=b04mb4wk that was broadcast
on Radio 1 last Sunday 26/10/2014 @16:00 GMT.
I downloaded Monday morning and all was fine - the
thumbnail is there.
 If I now re-download

get_iplayer --type=radio --pid=b04mb4wk --modes=flashaac --force --tag-podcast-radio

I get "BBC_iPlayer_Feeds_-_-_b04mb4wk_default.m4a"
with no thumbnail (the filename bug is reported elsewhere
in the list).
pid=b04mb4wk corresponds to a valid XML playlist,
so GiP uses older subroutines for the download and tagging;
this show can be recorded even by earlier versions, like 2.86,
but - as said - without an embedded thumbnail.
I suspect the same is now true for every radio/TV item
with a valid XML playlist.

Now let's examine pid=b03thc4z (Tommies_28_October_1914),
mentioned in the list by roadcone. THIS RADIO SHOW WAS
ONLY BROADCAST YESTERDAY (28/10/2014), BUT
HAS A "NOITEMS" XML PLAYLIST. This might be just a fluke,
as this is a feature of  >7d old shows, or the new way of things.
You need 2.87 to download and tag this, as the newly added
subroutine (get_verpids_json) is being used.
End file is "BBC_iPlayer_Feeds_-_-_b03thc4z_default.m4a",
which DOES HAVE an embedded thumbnail.
So, to conclude, if sub get_verpids_json is being used due
to a "noitems" XML playlist, then the M4A tagging is more
complete & with a thumbnail...
Hope I've shed some light towards a remedy...

Vangelis.