Does anyone know what a 'reversion' is?

Paul Phillips paulphillipsdidsbury at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 10:25:27 PDT 2014

I'm under the impression these are versions of the original programme
which have been edited down for time purposes or because something in
them is out of date. Very often I've noticed the programme is shorter
than the original
They put "reversions" in the title so that their internal media
archive systems can recognise the original master programme.

On 27 October 2014 16:44, Jeremy Nicoll - ml get_iplayer
<jn.ml.gti.91 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk> wrote:
> I've noticed that a few BBC programmes are described as 'reversions'.  For
> example there's a repeat (or maybe it's more than that?) of Series 5 of "Rip
> Off Britain" on at the moment.  In the tv.cache file (& on the BBC website)
> the episodes are titled:
>
>   Rip Off Britain: Series 5 (Daytime Reversions)
>
> The tv.cache file currently lists some other 'reversions':
>
>   Coast: Series 5 Reversions
>
>   Flog It!: Series 7 Reversions
>
>   Flog It!: Series 9 Reversions
>
>   Flog It: Trade Secrets: Series 2 - Reversions
>
> Presumably there's more to these than just repeats... but what?  I watched a
> couple of the Rip Off Britain ones and had the impression that I'd seen the
> whole of the programmes before a few months ago, though that doesn't
> preclude subtle editorial changes or omission of previous material.
>
> I did email the BBC to ask (without mentioning get_iplayer), but they didn't
> reply.  Does anyone here know?
>
> --
> Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.

Paul Phillips