Another download issue.

Timothy tmthywynn8 at aol.com
Wed Oct 8 12:16:28 PDT 2014

dinkypumpkin: We need to wait a week or so to see what is really happening with
the XML playlists.  If next week we find that XML playlists contain "noItems"
for programmes that are more than 7 days old yet were first broadcast after the
28-day switchover, that will indicate a systemic problem rather than isolated
cases of broken XML playlists.

Is there any reason for the wait? In other words, why can't we have the json and
vpid ways of fetching RTMP data as alternative just in case the current method
fails regardless? If normal method fales, try vpid. if vpid results in no items,
try json. If json fails then we'd know there'd be no way of retrieving the
program.

It's always great to have backups and redundancies regardless whether or not
this is a permanent thing. Is there some logical issue that I am aware of that
would make this a bad idea even if BBC doesn't switch over to using the vpid
and/or json methods in future?

Timothy