Another download issue.

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 04:52:44 PDT 2014

On 07/10/2014 01:48, Vangelis forthnet wrote:
> This is quite odd, because the video DOES PLAY in the browser,
> so the flash plugin must have a way to obtain the "version PID"
> (aka "mediator identifier") and hence access the rtmp streams.
> I have tried to examine the web traffic of my browser to possibly
> discover the alternate "playlist URL" used to get the "version PID";
> my attempts were unfruitful to that regard, as nothing would stand out
> as a playlist :-( - instead many complex .js files. But through URL
> sniffing I was able to pinpoint the vPID used, which is:

For TV programmes, vPID is buried in the source of the episode player
page.  View the page source and search for "vpid".  If you want the AD
or SL vPID (if available) you'll need to switch to that version using
the player controls before searching the page source.  Use that value to
construct the mediaselector URL (http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/...)
as Vangelis instructed to retrieve the stream parameters you could use
to construct a rtmpdump command line.

For radio programmes, the online player appears to still retrieve the
episode playlist and look for the vPID there.  So for radio you would
need to do URL sniffing (e.g., in Firefox Web Console) to find the
mediaselector URL (http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/...) and use
that to retrieve the stream parameters you could use to construct a
rtmpdump command line.