Can't locate episodes that I can find through iPlayer

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Fri Oct 3 11:50:18 PDT 2014

On Fri Oct 3 10:58:41 BST 2014, Julian Smith wrote:

> I've been wanting to find episodes of Brian Cox's radio show called
> 'Infinite Monkey Cage' via get_iplayer.
> (snip)
> There are however, episodes available via standard
> (snip)
> (i.e. http://www.bbc.co.uk/search?q=Infinite)

 Just one more thing to add to those already posted:

 I suspect that you navigated to the home page of iPlayerRadio
( http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio )
and then typed the search term "Infinite" in the white input field
on the top right; this is what the search URL you posted suggests.
 It  is not properly indicated (in contrast to the analogous white input
field
in the home page of iPlayerTV ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer ),
that clearly says: "Search BBC iPlayer"), but this field does a
search on practically all the "bbc.co.uk" pages; hence the many
unrelated to TIMC results...
 Instead, you should use the long grey input field further down,
which clearly marks "Find a programme" and which turns to
white when focused (and the background message also changes to
the more comprehensive "Find a programme on iPlayer Radio").
 This search is represented by the following URL
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/programmes/a-z/by/infinite/player
and yields (at the time of posting) only one result:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00snr0w
"All episodes available on BBC iPlayer Radio"
(i.e. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00snr0w/episodes/player )
will get you to the list of available episodes.
TIMC belongs to a special kind of radio shows with extended
online availability (more than the typical 7day) and the latest episode
was broadcast on 11 Aug 2014, so, as dinkypumkin said, none of
those will show up in GiP's radio cache. But (as dinkypumkin said)
each and everyone of them can be downloaded via the "PID method".

 Another hint if you are doing radio and podcast searches within
GiP is to force refresh the respective caches prior to the search:
get_iplayer --type=radio -f --force
get_iplayer --type=podcast -f --force
That way you won't miss any recent additions by the beeb.
On my (Windows) setup, when I dc the Get_iPlayer.lnk
I can see in the Command Prompt Window the TV cache
auto-refresh when it's more than 4hr old, but I am unsure as to
whether the radio cache does the same in the backgroud...
To be frank, as a non-UK user, I'd have been better off
with a radio+podcast cache auto-refresh, but this
would necessitate code altering inside the perl script - I
do not mind refreshing them manually...

On Fri Oct 3 15:08:32 BST 2014, dinkypumpkin wrote:

> Granted, for programmes like TIMC that are also archived
> as podcasts, it's easier to retrieve them that way.

 The podcast file (.mp3) is MP3 at 64kbps, mono sound.
The corresponding (to the same episode) "flashaacstd" file (.m4a)
that GiP fetches is AAC-LC at 128kbps, stereo sound.
I know TIMC is a "spoken content" radio show, but still,
I find it weird to listen to mono sound through headphones
(the way I most often listen to recorded radio when on the move)
so that, when there is a choice, I always prefer the flashaac
version to the (monaural) podcast one.

Kind regards,
Vangelis.