podcast listings missing a digit

Nick get_iplayer at i.lucanops.net
Wed Oct 1 02:55:37 PDT 2014

On Wed, 01 Oct 2014 10:27:14 +0100
David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> wrote:
> > Is it not possible to get the list software to set the Reply To
> > header so that replies always go to the list?
>
> Absolutely not.

It might be doable locally for you Owen, just add a custom header at
some point to specific messages.

> You have two 'reply' options in your mail client. One ("Reply") gives
> you a *private* reply, which goes *only* to the sender of the message
> you're looking at.
>
> The other ("Reply to All") gives you a *public* reply, which goes to
> *everyone* who received the message you're looking at.

It actually looks like a mail client thing. You are talking as if
Evolution behaves like all mail clients, with Claws I do not get the
problem Owen highlighted and you explained. When I press reply it goes
to the list, which makes sense as I am replying to a mailing list
messages. Owen looks to have the same expectations.... but to fair he
also cannot manage to put a reply in the correct place :)

> What you suggest is horrible. You basically want us to attempt to hack
> the behaviour of *everyone's* mail program, to trick it into sending a
> *public* reply when they actually asked for a private reply.

You both need mail clients that are ready for the internet :) Mailing
lists are not rare and Claws here really does look to cope well. Claws
also has a free text field for the sender meaning I can easily use any
address at my-domain, whereas with Evolution, Thunderbird and others need
accounts setting up for every outgoing email address.

Nick