Do Not Flush

C E Macfarlane c.e.macfarlane at macfh.co.uk
Sun Nov 23 08:40:31 PST 2014

>     Can you not use the --pvr feature? It grabs things based on a
>     search string contained in a simple to construct text file in
>     the ~/.get_iplayer/pvr directory.

TBH, I've never investigated this, but probably ought.  My own PVR-style
script originally grew out of the need to keep two servers, which are
supposed to be backups of each other, in sync.  The extra PVR functionality
was added to the script later.  You may say, "Why not use rsync to keep the
servers in sync?", and I do.  All the data shares are regularly synced
between the two, but much of the get_iplayer environment is outside these
data shares.  Also, I wanted permanent changes made in one configuration to
be automatically copied to the other.

>     > BTW, like you I also run GIP from my own script, gip.sh, which
>     > merges the configuration, cache, and download_history data
>     > between two machines, to prevent them redownloading the caches
>     > and/or the same programmes, and so that a configuration change
>     > made to one, or a new search term added to one, will
>     replicate to the
>     > other.
>
>     Seems rather complicated, no doubt you have your reasons over
>     a master/slave set up. Where you could just copy the
>     cache/history/options from the master to the slave. Are the
>     actual programme files dupicated or do the two machines look
>     in the same place for those?

As above and below, although GIP is usually only running on one particular
server, I sometimes need to have both running.

>	TBH I'm having trouble working
>     out why you need two machines running GIP, just have one and
>     ssh into it from where ever you are. B-)

The servers are NAS boxes, and don't have a great deal of processing power,
so really only one GIP session can be running at a given time on a given
box, or else things tend to slow to a treacley trickle.  Hence, when there
is an occasional need to have two sessions running, they have to run on
different boxes, with each needing to know what the other has already
downloaded.

www.macfh.co.uk/CEMH.html

UK Residents:

If you feel can possibly support it
please sign the following ePetition
before closing time of 30/03/2015 23:59:-

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/71556