Do Not Flush

C E Macfarlane c.e.macfarlane at macfh.co.uk
Sun Nov 23 04:58:26 PST 2014

Thanks.

However, really I'm looking for a simple way of preventing GIP redownloading
the cache just to get a programme that one can be certain should still be in
it.  Nigel's contribution, for which I'm grateful, looks to be the best bet
so far, but is a little unwieldy as my aging brain either has to recall what
would be a sensible numerical value, such as the MAX_INT value or whatever
the equivalent in PERL may be, or work one out.  It would be more convenient
just to have a command-line option such as --no-refresh, which would
probably be more appropriate than --no-flush as I originally implied in the
thread title, as the latter would imply updating the cache without
discarding the previous data, which, as you suggest, would be quite complex.

I usually run GIP without -g to load the cache(s), then give a series of
bash commands separated by ';' to leave GIP downloading overnight, but if
one of them relies on an index number, I don't want the cache reloaded by
that or any of the preceding commands, as that will change the index number.
Also occasionally I come down in the morning to find that, in such a series
of bash commands, I'd given one of them wrong in some way, and wish to give
the correct command using the same cache information as the night before.

BTW, like you I also run GIP from my own script, gip.sh, which merges the
configuration, cache, and download_history data between two machines, to
prevent them redownloading the caches and/or the same programmes, and so
that a configuration change made to one, or a new search term added to one,
will replicate to the other.  It calls GIP based on search terms in a list,
and, as you have suggested, backs up the cache before running the merge,
also it backs up the configuration file, download_history, and search list.

www.macfh.co.uk/CEMH.html

UK Residents:

If you feel can possibly support it
please sign the following ePetition
before closing time of 30/03/2015 23:59:-

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/71556