Slow radio downloads - a bit off topic

Alan Milewczyk alan at soulman1949.com
Wed Nov 19 03:19:17 PST 2014

On 18/11/2014 19:01, Jeremy Nicoll - ml get_iplayer wrote:
> Alan Milewczyk <alan at soulman1949.com> wrote:
>
>> In that case, I'd better not mention the 156Mbps downloads and 11.6Mbps
>> uploads I get from Virgin here in Greater Manchester.
> My 60 Mbps connection is also a Virgin one; what actual download speeds of
> BBC radio & tv programmes using get_iplayer do you get?

Not sure how typical these are but I just timed a film and got 9.6Mbps
and then downloaded the three hour Today programme from Radio 4 and got
15.5Mbps. Subjectively, the speeds seemed fairly normal.

Sometimes if I'm impatient, I open up a few DOS boxes at a time and have
a number of transfers going on in parallel - they all seem to chug along
without affecting each other speedwise, although I've never bothered
timing them.  Of course, since the changes introduced by the BBC, the
"fetch" element for radio programmes is much greater than before.

Alan