Slow radio downloads - a bit off topic

Dave Liquorice allsorts at howhill.com
Tue Nov 18 12:16:33 PST 2014

On Tue, 18 Nov 2014 18:46:48 -0000, George Eycott wrote:

>> 5 Mbps, 11 Mbps, 60 Mbps - these are numbers I just don't recognise -:(
>> Here in rural Pembrokeshire, West Wales, I consider myself lucky if I get
>> the nominal 2Mbps that BT rate the line
>
> Luxury.

I'm lucky, get a reliable sync speed of 6 Mbps with through put over 5 Mbps.
Down in the village about 2 km further away it's as you describe, if not
worse. However a VDSL cabinet has just sprung up down there, so they should
be getting 30 or 40 Mbps in the center of the village by year end. Our line
doen't go anywhere that cabinet but at 2 km would only get about 15 Mbps
anyway. Another cabinet has popped up outside the exchange 3+ km away, that
wouldn't perform much if any better than the current ADSL2. But the *really*
galling thing is that the fibre cable to feed the cabinet in the village
passes under our forecourt about 15' from the front door.

> 2Mb/s download, yep we get that OK until the schoolbus pulls up in the
> village in the afternoon then 10 minutes later everything slows to a
> crawl.

Who is your ISP? I don't get any slow down but others I've spoken to on the
same exchnage but use different ISPs do. The congestion may not be at the
exchange or on the backhaul but rather closer to the ISP...

--
Cheers
Dave.