OT Slow radio downloads was Re: Slow radio downloads

Dave Liquorice allsorts at howhill.com
Tue Nov 18 09:12:45 PST 2014

On Tue, 18 Nov 2014 10:47:26 -0600, artisticforge . wrote:

> to get 60Mbps you have either fibre or coax. not going to get 60mbps
> over plain old copper twisted pair.

er VDSL is delivered over an ordinary copper pair, it's only Fibre to the
cabinet. VDSL2 "up to 76 Mbps" ought to deliver > 60 Mbps out to about 500 m
line length from the cabinet.

Don't fall BT's marketing of "fibre optic broadband" it's not. If it was
they'd be offering 100 Mbps symmetrical as a basic service with options up
to 1 Gbps or higher.

I can see that the huge amount of our money being given to BT to install
FTTC is going to backfire in a few years. The technology just isn't up to
providing two or three proper, as in equal to DSAT or better Bluray data
rate, HD TV streams. Think of a family kids up stairs streaming stuff
parents down stairs...

> I have a microwave link and I am happy with the 6Mbps .
> I do not stream video. no nexflix. no youtube.

6 Mbps is good enough for those but the data they consume might be a problem
if you have a data allowance. The 2.5 ish Mbps iPlayer "HD" downloads
consume 1+ GB/hour. "HD" in quotes as HD really needs 10 Mbps to look good,
Bluray mentioned earlier runs at 40 Mbps.

--
Cheers
Dave.