peculiar to BBC Radio Wales?

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 12:01:57 PST 2014

On 17/11/2014 00:31, artisticforge . wrote:
> today, of the three BBC Radio Wales programmes that I normally get
> all are having to be downloaded as liveradio with radiomode=wma
> the three programmes are Roy Noble, Celtic Heartbeat and Beverley's
> World of Music

First cut at a fix now in Git:

https://github.com/dinkypumpkin/get_iplayer/wiki/installation#githead

There have a been several similar problems reported lately (all with
nations radio programmes so far), enough to be more than coincidental.
I'm assuming that the mediaselector/4 API is on the way to being killed,
or left to rot, at least in part. Whatever the case, some RTMP streams
are disappearing.  So, for anyone using this patch:

- I've changed get_iplayer to use the mediaselector/5 API by default.
If you don't know what "mediaselector/5 API" means, all you need to know
is that it is a newer BBC interface for retrieving media stream
parameters.  It should return RTMP stream data that is missing from the
older mediaselector/4 API for some programmes.

- AFAICT, this change seems to work for iPlayer content and BBC news
site videos.  In the past, there were some other esoteric audio/video
things that get_iplayer could download. I don't remember what they were
specifically, or if they are still around.  If you find some non-iPlayer
content along those lines that no longer works, feel free to post it.
However, my attitude is that anything that is not iPlayer content can be
thrown under the bus it it's any trouble to fix.

- wma mode (radio) and flashlow mode (tv) are not available.  WMA is
going bye-bye in 6 weeks, so you should be weaning yourself off it
anyway. Lower-quality modes for video are now only available in the
mobile device mediasets.  If you don't know what "mediaset" means in
this context, all you need to is that it is a construct used to segment
the available media streams into groups for different types of devices,
e.g., mobile vs desktop.   It may be possible to bring in the
low-quality video modes from mobile mediasets, but that is a headache
for another time.

- Use --mediaselector=4 to return to the old behaviour, e.g., in order
to get wma or flashlow mode.  There is no guarantee it will work, however.