mpeg-dash and get_iplayer?

Jim web at audiomisc.co.uk
Wed Nov 12 05:05:18 PST 2014

In article <20141112122101.GA26457 at firedrake.org>,
   Roger Bell_West <roger at firedrake.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 12:06:34PM +0000, Jim wrote:
> >I'm now wondering what the impact on get_iplayer will be if/when the BBC
> >move over to mpeg-dash as seems to be their intent?

> Obviously, it will stop working.

> Maybe someone will come up with a new version or equivalent program.
> Maybe not. There's no point in speculating until the new format is
> made available and we can take a look at it.

See

http://rdmedia.bbc.co.uk/radio4/index.html

as discussed at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radio4/posts/Saturday-Drama-Under-Milk-Wood-in-Surround-Sound

for an example. There were some earlier experimental streams but they're no
longer up.

I appreciate that a new program would be needed. What I don't know is if
this is even practical, let alone how, etc.

At present I couldn't even try the binaural streams using FireFox as it
seems to still not support the method.

Jim