ePetition Covering Public Data From The Likes Of The BBC

C E Macfarlane c.e.macfarlane at macfh.co.uk
Sun Nov 9 04:10:03 PST 2014

>     You've evidently not seen the open data charter:
>         https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/open-data-charter

No, I hadn't.  Thanks for the link.  Wrt to the current situation, one of
the interesting paragraphs linked above reads:

"13) We recognise that the term government data is meant in the widest sense
possible. This could apply to data owned by national, federal, local, or
international government bodies, or by the wider public sector."

Which would already appear to include the BBC by implication.  I feel an
email to Jon.Billings at bbc.co.uk coming on.

>     or one of the results of it:
>         http://data.gov.uk/
>
>     I can also say from first-hand knowledge that government agencies have
>     for several years been mandating open data exchange standards in IT
>     projects.

Unfortunately, this excellent policy has not always filtered down to
"national, federal, local, or international government bodies, or by the
wider public sector".  You wouldn't believe the trouble I had to go through
to get TV Transmission data, for my Terrestrial TV Calculator page below, in
a usable form from Ofcom, and I STILL haven't been able to get accurate
Transmitter Radiation Patterns from them:
	http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/AudioVisualTV/TerrestrialTV/TerrestrialCalc
ulator.php

I'm very pleased indeed to see the link you have given, but I still think my
ePetition is worth signing, because it more specifically mentions external
bodies receiving public funding, such as the BBC.