Thank you - great work ....

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Fri Nov 7 13:59:12 PST 2014

On Fri Nov 7 21:16:37 GMT 2014, SquarePenguin wrote:

> I'm conflating terms and mixing up file types and all sorts.
> (snip)
> I can never remember which one means what

 There's not much to it, really...
A container is a file format that "contains" (elementary)
audio and/or video streams (it is possible only a video
stream is contained, but it's less common...).

 Picture the container as a small paper box
that contains a 50 GBP banknote (representing the
video stream) and a 5 GBP banknote (representing the
audio stream).
REMUXING would be to take out the banknotes and
repackage them into a small tin box.
TRANSCODING both video and audio would be to take out
the GBP banknotes, take them to a bank,  buy US dollars equal
in value to 55 GBP and put the dollars bought inside
a tin box.
Usually transcoding involves a change of container, too,
but this is not a condition; the AVI and, most notably,
the MKV (Matroska) container can support a great
variety of media streams (= AV codecs...).

Hope I made it clearer for you and others...

Vangelis.