get_iplayer - works at first... then doesn't

Jim Lesurf jcgl at audiomisc.co.uk
Fri Nov 7 05:06:57 PST 2014

I've now done a power cycle of the laptop and the userland 2.90 still works
OK. Excellent. :-)

I'm still puzzled by why the 'distro' version works at first and then
ceases over a power cycle. If it had failed from the start I would have
taken for granted it was a dead duck and focussed on 2.90. But the fact
that it works initially after an install made me think I was simply doing
something wrong in terms of setup, etc.

Also, here I'm simply re-trying the 2.90 I installed a few days ago in a
user directory. Then it failed. Now it works. My guess is that then I'd
un-installed some kind of support that it needs when I'd uninstalled 2.83
to avoid accidentially using the wrong one (due to my typing un-skills!)

So it looks like I have to have installed the 'distro' 2.83 to ensure I've
also setup and installed something else that 2.90 needs.

I'll do some more tests, but it looks like - fingers crossed - I'm now OK.
Apologies for the muddle!

Thanks,

Jim