PATCH addition of /usr/local/bin/ in 'get_iplayer.cgi'

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Nov 6 01:07:12 PST 2014

On Thu, 2014-11-06 at 01:07 +0000, Owen Smith wrote:
> Why bother with patches? Why not just check the source file out,
> change it, and check it back in again with the change in? Or does git
> not work like conventional source control systems?

Of course. But we don't allow just *anyone* to commit to the repository.
You can make your own copy somewhere publicly visible (like on github)
and ask us to 'pull' from it, or you can send patches.

Git provides tools for automatically sending and applying patches via
email, but there's nothing git-specific about the rules for cleanly
doing so. You don't *have* to use 'git-send-email', but it helps.
Personally I do just put patches inline in email when I send them, from
my normal mailer. But I know it doesn't do stupid things like converting
tabs to spaces, and I tell it not to line-wrap either.

--
dwmw2