Hello World...

Nick get_iplayer at i.lucanops.net
Wed Nov 5 07:08:15 PST 2014

On Wed, 05 Nov 2014 16:51:48 +0200
J <j at mailsorter.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> artisticforge . wrote:
> <snip>
> > get_iplayer, bypasses all of that and is grabbing a digital copy of
> > the BBC content. there is a fundamental difference.
> >

> I don't follow your overall argument. My Foxsat DVR grabs digital
> copies of broadcast media and the cheapo sat card in my PC similarly
> dumps the ts straight to disk. I can hear/view those files without
> restriction and anyone in the UK could do the same.

I started a reply and gave up because of the contradictory nature. It
seems he was OK with people using the best technology in the past (VHS
era), but these days people should not use the best technology can
offer.

We should use artificially complicated and limited things instead so
that it is like the past. Screen capture means the computer cannot be
used as a general purpose device, it has to be used as a recording
machine while the thing is on. Plus there are supposedly shortcomings
with the software, it doesn't do what it is meant to very well by the
sounds of it.

But of course in the past a major US movie exec hammed it up in court
trying to get home video tech banned to protect cinemas and the movie
biz status-quo. But those benefiting off the status-quo mostly ended
up with a better lot, home video tech opened the door for rentals and
video sales. What worry about things now is likely mis-guided.

Nick