ePetition Covering Public Data From The Likes Of The BBC

Jon Davies jon at hedgerows.org.uk
Wed Nov 5 06:35:58 PST 2014

On 4 November 2014 14:40, C E Macfarlane <c.e.macfarlane at macfh.co.uk> wrote:
> Now available for signatories.  Please sign if you are a UK resident and
> feel remotely able to support it:

I confidently predict that the government's response, if you get one
at all, will be "we already do this".  It's government policy to use
open standards and open data structures already (has been for a long
time), and government does actually do it.  But the BBC is not part of
the government, and government will always claim to be unable to
direct them to do stuff and will instead point you at the BBC Trust.

some else who ate a dodgy curry said
> What part of *Keep a low profile* don't you understand?

There's no point in trying to keep a low profile - if Jon Billings,
Head of BBC Platform API, is already mentioning get_iplayer in public
forums, which he is, then there's no point in trying to hide.  Not
that we ever have.

What I would counsel is staying polite, and explaining the legal and
moral use cases we have that are not supported by the BBC's own
infrastructure.  (In my particular case, I can't get iplayer content
to play on my media PC without gip - my pc runs linux, has a dead-slow
atom processor and a fast-enough ion GPU, and none of the linux
"support" actually works.  but it'll happily play downloaded HD
content.  The BBC doesn't/won't support this.)

Jon