Hello World...

Mark Carroll mtbc at ixod.org
Wed Nov 5 06:11:44 PST 2014

"artisticforge ." <artisticforge at gmail.com> writes:

> get_iplayer, bypasses all of that and is grabbing a digital copy of
> the BBC content. there is a fundamental difference.

This is true, but hardly unusual. For instance,
https://code.google.com/p/get-flash-videos/ works excellently for a wide
range of sites -- fundamentally, if it's viewable, and on some popular
site, someone will share a tool that makes it downloadable, and it'd
annoy me if the BBC are wasting much licence fee income in tilting at
that particular windmill.

What I actually find get_iplayer far more valuable for is being able to
identify BBC shows that I'll want to watch (whether because I was
looking out for them, or because they are new and not in my "blacklist")
-- easy command-line access to the "available now" list is great, if it
didn't also do the downloading I'm sure I could arrange that otherwise
should I wish. When I do have to use the BBC's site, I tend to find
roughly the page I want via Google rather than trying to actually
navigate it; I wouldn't dream of using it to actually discover the
availability of things I want to watch.

-- Mark