ePetition Covering Public Data From The Likes Of The BBC

Jonathan H lardconcepts at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 08:09:29 PST 2014

On 4 November 2014 15:24, Shiner <dodgy-curry at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> BAD IDEA
>
> What part of *Keep a low profile* don't you understand?

Not sure I understand the problem with the petition. He's calling for
publicly available data to be available in standard computer formats.
And admirable aim, no?

He points out that "fees of implementing IT are wasted on commercial
software, when open source solutions exist" - true or not?

He's not mentioned or even alluded to get_iplayer.

So, um... I'm not really sure what the problem is.

> Would you like the keys to the Treasury while you are at it?

Why would he want that? The cost of open-sourcing data is negligible -
compare that to the £100bn+ failed IT governments project, or even the
BBC's own "Digital Media Initiative" cost £98 million before being
abandoned.

Sadly, you ARE probably right when you say

> You haven't a hope in hell

There are too many too many vested interests, poor contracts and too
many civil servants naive in the ways of procurement but enthralled by
technology.