Thank You

Ian Stirling Ian.stirling at mauve.plus.com
Tue Nov 4 04:54:38 PST 2014

On 11/04/2014 09:54 AM, Alan Milewczyk wrote:

> We've seen how the film studios have been clamping down on piracy. The
> BBC is sitting on a massive treasure trove. What makes anyone think
> they will give this up willingly. Ignoring the technical limitations
> of the BBC iPlayer, the BBC lets us "enjoy" THEIR content for a
> limited period. What we have with get_iplayer is a way of
> circumventing the restrictions the BBC puts on us.

The intellectual property considerations are real.
However, for many of us, the superset of what is actually already
legally available would be just fine - it's
just that the implementation blows enough that it's functionally useless.

For example - I can download and watch programs on my android tablet for
up to 30 days - it's just that
it doesn't properly resume if it gets interrupted - so I typically have
to try to download several times - and I can't do this with my linux PC.

Personally, if there was a cross-platform gip-like thing, which did not
allow saving past 30 (or 7) days, and
had a more sane (and accessible, for those blind and other users)
interface - I suspect many would
welcome this.

Similarly - a small extra fee on the licence which allowed much less
restriction as to what you can view.