We should be grateful ( was Re: A message from Auntie )

Peter S Kirk peter.kirk at isauk.biz
Sun Nov 2 12:55:53 PST 2014

On 1 Nov 2014 at 22:27, Owen Smith Owen Smith <owen.smith at cantab.net>
wrote:

> This is a problem the BBC should have foreseen. As soon as you put software into embedded devices like TVs or PVRs,
> either you have to support it for at least 10 years or you will break someone's viewing experience. It appears to me
> that insufficient thought was given to this. I've been in the software industry for nearly 30 years and I foresaw
> problems like this about 3 years ago.

Very true and the main reason I delay purchasing any new devices until the
technology, software etc has matured. We've seen this before with early
Freeview boxes becoming obsolete due to EPG and other changes. Prior to
that the change from analogue to digital made millions (?) of satellite
receivers obsolete. Plus the obsolescence of tied hardware such as
OnDigital and Maxwell's BSB squariel receivers and dishes.

Even if some manufacturers do release a firmware update, a significant
proportion of owners will never know and even if they do the instructions
to apply it will be gobbledygook for them (eg my mum and brother)

Your "been in the software industry for nearly 30 years" made me think.
Same here, been in IT since 1984.

Cheers,

Peter

15GB + 5GB bonus Free cloud storage, no credit card details required.
5GB bonus for both for using NEW referal link https://copy.com?r=ccgBsB

Cloud storage space and app provided by https://www.barracuda.com
Files are stored on Barracuda's own servers, not amazon/aws or other third
party as most including Dropbox use