Shell script to get PIDs from schedules

Dirk Husemann dirk+getiplayer at d2h.net
Sun Nov 2 11:35:23 PST 2014

On 2014-11-02 20:22, Jeremy Nicoll - ml get_iplayer wrote:
> Dirk Husemann <dirk+getiplayer at d2h.net> wrote:
>
>> On 2014-11-02 19:49, Jeremy Nicoll - ml get_iplayer wrote:
>>> Interesting, but not a schedule.  You already knew the pid...
>> which you can get from the iplayer guide page:
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/guide/bbc/20141029
> Yes, but the point of the thread is finding ways to extract all this info
> from the bbc (to build a searchable list of available programmes, which is
> what get_iplayer's radio.cache and tv.cache files were) without scraping
> complicated and - potentially - ever-changing internal format webpages.
exactly, so we should take a look at how the iplayer webapp is working -
the feeds will be gone sooner rather than later, the iplayer webapp is
probably going to stay, so..

% http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/guide/bbc/20141029 | grep /iplayer/episode

this will return all iplayer hrefs for 29 october, from which we can
extract the PID and then access the JSON info.