some insights and thoughts

Tom madtom1999 at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 2 10:22:07 PST 2014

On 02/11/14 17:56, artisticforge . wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have been talking with a friend, who is a presenter on BBC Radio 4
> Extra. about the changes at the BBC.
>
> For the past year I have noticed that changes have been made to
> provide information where program episodes may be purchased.
>
> Music programs have the "Playlist" detailing the music played and
> where it may be purchased.
>
> We both agree that the BBC archives are a Treasury trove that is worth
> a good deal of £.
>
> I have purchased many audiobooks off iTunes and amazon.co.uk.
>
> We both are of the opinion that the BBC is making changes to protect
> the archives from being blundered.
>
> who is going to purchase the "Journey into Space - Operation Luna",
> "Journey into Space - The Red Planet" and "Journey into Space - The
> World in Peril"  series when they can download it off numerous web
> sites? what is scary is that I can remember when the they were first
> broadcast. ;-)
>
> There are numerous other examples. Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, Ben
> Moor's Undone series, EarthSearch series 1 & 2, The Paul Temple
> series, The Charles Paris Mysteries, and the Lord Peter Wimsey series,
> Doctor Who Audio Books from Big Finish Productions, Sebastian
> Bacziewicz's Pilgrim series  and others.
>
> We both wonder how many users of get_iplayer also support the BBC with
> purchases of CDs and/or DVDs.
>
> I tend to think that I am one of few.

I paid my license at the time. Should I have to pay again?
I have a feeling they, like many others, will spend more money on
attempting to control things that they cant - once its transmitted its
out there. And more importantly more money spent tying things down they
will bring in in revenue.
I can record things directly through iPlayer (or I could if my ADSL was
up to it) but its very easy to run up a VM (kind of a computer within a
computer) and record the screen and audio from that. They are fighting a
loosing battle and we license payers are paying for their .... stupidity.
Tom