Shell script to get PIDs from schedules

artisticforge . artisticforge at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 08:24:37 PST 2014

hello;

JSON, XML and YAML, all have the following in the header sent by the
server which most people would never see.

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: Apache
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2014 16:17:13 GMT
Connection: keep-alive
Vary: X-CDN,Accept-Encoding

Basically, JSON, XML and YAML, may disappear at any time. We are then
left in the same position that we have recently
found ourselves.

So one viable long term option is to start parsing the HTML version of
the programme schedules.

In my opinion it is better to start now than wait for "the sky is
falling the sky falling we are doomed"

On Sun, Nov 2, 2014 at 9:52 AM, Jeremy Nicoll - ml get_iplayer
<jn.ml.gti.91 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk> wrote:
> "Terry L. Ridder" <artisticforge at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hello
>>
>>I may have missed something , but where is there any mention of the
> www.bbc.co.uk website programme schedules going away?
>
> You've missed this: if a computer program grabs website pages and 'scrapes'
> them, which is to say wades through all the rubbish that's there to make the
> page look pretty, trying to extract only the data that says what the
> tv/radio programmes are, their pids etc... it's
>
>   - complicated
>   - slow
>   - unreliable because as soon as the BBC alter how the webpages
>     work, the scraping programs might need altered
>
> So instead, programmers are concentrating on finding resources that contain
> data without frills.  The stuff at:
>
>  www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/programmes/schedules/fm/this_week.json
>
> and
>
>  www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/programmes/schedules/fm/this_week.yaml
>
> and
>
>  www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/programmes/schedules/fm/this_week.xml
>

> (those three URLs are the same except for the last .xxx part) all yield data
> that's much more immediately useful to programmers.  The first two are nasty
> for a human to look at, the third is easier on the eye.  But as someone said
> these simpler-to-use files are going to cease to exist; they're 'deprecated'
> which is the term programmers use to mean "something that works now but soon
> won't".
>
> --
> Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.

terry l. ridder ><>