Information Overload on GiP Changes

Timothy tmthywynn8 at aol.com
Sat Nov 1 13:13:00 PDT 2014

Mark Carroll <mtbc at ixod.org> wrote:
> Budgie <ajebay at errichel.co.uk> writes:
>
>> I guess the public will only get access to the iPlayer material if they
>> have a TV licence or some new "on-line" license.  Just a guess but is it
>> a credible threat?
>
> I'd be fine with having to put my television licence number in a
> .iplayerrc file or somesuch for get_iplayer to pass on to the BBC!
> I guess we'll see what happens ...

I thought, and correct me if I'm wrong, there are fringe cases wherein one does
not need to get a TV licence in order to watch iPlayer content:
1) You do not plan to watch live content at any time. This includes watching BBC
live feeds on the iPlayer.
2) If visually impaired/blind, do not display visual content on any display of
any kind. In other words, only listen to audio.

Therefore, I doubt the BBC will require one to have a license to watch catch-up
content.

Sources:
http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/tvlicence
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/blindseverely-sight-impaired-aud5